Thursday, June 4, 2015

A Letter to My Students

 
The last day of school is a bittersweet day. I finished my second year of teaching fourth grade today. And while I'm ready for the rest and the adventure that the "off season" brings, there is something about hearing that final bell ring that makes me sad. I was blessed with a wonderful, sweet class this year. I liked being "Mrs. Burns" for them. I liked when they accidentally (and sometimes on purpose) called be "Mom". I liked their hugs, their sweet notes, and every time they said "I'll miss you". I am looking forward to getting a new crop of kiddos in August, but today I wanted to share with you the words I had to write to my second class.

As I began planning their end-of-year presents, I searched Pinterest and TPT for a cute goodbye poem to attach to them. And though the notes I found were cute, they didn't feel right. There was more that I needed to say before June 4th. So this is what I wrote. Not to brag on me in any way (that would be a short conversation), but to brag on a rag-tag group of 9,10, and 11 year-olds that captured my heart this year- through the good days and the bad.  
  ----------------------------------------------

Dear Friend,
  We’ve had a great  year together! It makes me sad that it is time to say goodbye for the summer. Before you go, I want to tell you a few things.
  First, I hope you know how smart you are. Every single one of you. And I don’t mean you got good grades or made the honor roll. I mean that you are smart and capable in your very own way. You are uniquely you - the best thing you can be!
  Second, I had a wonderful time with you. You are funny and sweet and you make my bad days better. I hope you know that I have never been mad at you. I have never disliked you. I have only ever loved you. And when you love someone, you do your best to teach them and make them better. You were awesome when you came to me in August, but I hope that you will leave me smarter, stronger, kinder, and more polite.
  Finally, please know that I am always here for you. Always, always. I hope that next year, as a fancy fifth grader, you will come back and give me a hug and tell me how you are doing. Because I will never forget you. A mother never forgets her “kids”, and that is what you have been to me this year.
  Thank you for the laughs, the smiles, the hugs, the tears. Thank you for putting up with me, while I put up with you. Each and every one of you made me a better teacher.
  Have a wonderful summer break! Read lots of books, and then come back and tell me all about them.
  Your Teacher,
      Mrs. B

 ----------------------------------------------

Have a wonderful summer break, teacher friends. Your break is well-deserved!

1 comment:

  1. This is the absolute sweetest letter! I wish my kids' teachers had given them a letter like this. Lyph!

    ReplyDelete