HUGE thank you to Allison over at Live, Love, Learn in Fourth Grade for nominating me! What a sweet thing to do! This is my first year blogging (and teaching, for that matter!) and I can truly say the blogging world has helped me more than I can say! Having never taught fourth grade, it's so nice to visit blogs like Allison's to hear about what they love and recommend, and to be inspired every single day.
To accept this nomination, I need to...
- Link back to the blog that nominated me
- Nominate 5-11 blogs with fewer than 200 followers
- Answer the questions posted for you by your nominator
- Share 11 random facts about yourself
- Create 11 questions for your nominees
- Contact your nominees and let them know you nominated them
Blogs I am nominating:
- Amanda at Rock Stars at Work
- Rissa at Keep Calm and Hoot On
- Kay at On the Trail of Learning...A Fourth Grade Adventure
- Miss B at Real Teachers Learn
- Ashley at Teaching Paws-itively
1. If you had to describe yourself using only three adjectives, what would they be and why?
Crafty- I love crafts, projects, and seeing ideas come to life.
Creative- There is no better feeling than getting that one *awesome* idea for whatever you're working on, and making it happen.
Enthusiastic- I love teaching. I love what I do. I love what I teach (literacy). And I think that really shows :)
2. What is your favorite stress reliever during the school year?
Probably dumb television shows. There's nothing better to me than curling up on the couch after a long day and vegging out with some drama-filled, girly TV show ;)
3. Do you use reading workshops in your classroom. If so, what do you think about it?
Being a first year teacher, I don't have any experience to go from! However, I am loving the idea of reading workshops and can't wait to use them. I heard the idea of reading WS for the first time at a teaching conference I attended last month. It totally changed the way I think about teaching reading, and I can't wait to use it this year.
4. If you could go back and relive one teaching experience you've had what would it be? Positive or Negative.
Student teaching last year! It was so much fun. And very low-pressure, low-stress ;) Haha. My mentor teacher and I clicked so so well and it made "work" a joy!
5. What are your hobbies?
Crafts, shopping, and reading! And often times, all three of those are linked somehow ;)
6. What is your all time favorite lesson?
Hard to choose! I really love the activity I used for teaching Henry's Freedom Box this past year. It involved the students "assembling" the body parts of the character- thoughts, feelings, actions, personality, etc. They worked in groups to study the text in depth and complete their character trait. Then, as a whole group we put Henry "back together" and learned more about how to really study and learn from characters in reading. Loved it!
7. What is your all time favorite recipe?
Almost any recipe from my Mom! I love her cooking. When I got married, she gave me a cookbook with several of my favorites written in and ready. Including homemade mac&cheese, cheese pie, cheese dip, and vanishing oatmeal cookies. My "go-to" recipe is the Easy Beer Bread from Celebrating Home. I love to make it in my bean pot! It literally takes a minute to mix up, and it's delicious! Get the recipe here: http://www.beanpotcookbook.com/beer-bread/.
8. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?
Absolutely, definitely, completely- Europe. Specifically England and Italy :)
9. If you had unlimited money, what would you buy for your classroom?
Oh my word...where to begin? Books, of course. New, beautiful, matching bookshelves. Rugs, pillows, curtains. Round tables. iPads. The list could go on and on and on...
10. What advice would you give to someone interested in starting a blog?
Just do it! Why not? Get out there. Do a linky party! It's a great way to get started and find friends and followers. Most of all, share share share. Share you life, share your passion, be yourself. That's what everyone wants to read! :)
11. Are you an animal lover?
I am a lover of MY animal...Lewis. My four month old cocker spaniel that is incredibly spunky and full of life. Not so much other people's ;)
11 Random Facts About Me:
- I'm an Arkansas blogger! Born and raised here in the Southwest corner. It's home :)
- I'm a first year teacher! I just graduate and May and will begin my first year teaching fourth grade literacy!
- I'm a perfectionist. I go overboard. I'm picky. It's my thing ;)
- My hubby and I are celebrating our one year wedding anniversary this month on the 28th! So happy and in love. And can't wait to "get away" with him for the weekend.
- I have a HUGE classroom library. Especially for a first year-er. Between my love for books, and the books left by teachers before me...I ended up with over 700 books this year. Crazy! But I love it.
- I love to sleep. I could take naps all day! Haha.
- I come from a family of teachers. My Dad teaches high school history and my Mom is a kindergarten teacher. My older sister is a preschool teacher, and I am now a fourth grade teacher! Crazy, right?
- I love TPT and teaching blogs. They have literally changed my "teaching life"!
- I love desserts of all kind. They're my favorite.
- I truly believe no teacher can function without a hot glue gun. I know I can't!
- I love a good blanket. I keep one on me at home at all times. It's just cozy!
1. What made you want to be a teacher?
2. What keeps you being a teacher?
3. Why did you start blogging?
4. What is your favorite book?
5. What is at the top of your wishlist for your classroom right now?
6. Your favorite store or website for teaching supplies?
7. What is your favorite subject to teach?
8. If you weren't a teacher, what would you do?
9. Something you bought this summer for your classroom?
10. Who is your favorite TPT seller or blogger to read or follow?
11. What advice would you give a first year teacher?
Thanks again, Allison, for the nomination! I am so excited to find new blogging friends through this :)
Oh, and happy Saturday!