Saturday, March 30, 2013

Five For Friday Linky Party...On Saturday ;)

five for friday

1. We finished up studying the continents this week in second grade. I have LOVED this unit. Seriously. When we started, the kids had no idea what the difference was between a continent and a country. And now, they know all about the world! Well sort of ;) Grab my Learning the Continents Packet and teach your littles too!

2. Antarctica. When we first started this unit, I was kind of dreading Antarctica, honestly. I saved it for last on purpose. How do you explain this place to second graders?? BUT this website saved my life, which I posted the other day: www.discoveringantarctica.org.uk. Seriously. It is a British site, so it is a little more "out there" for second grade, but the vidoes/pictures are awesome. 

3. "The Job of a Lifetime". I am SO SO SO excited about this. I was inspired by some of the activities on the website above to make this extension packet for studying Antarctica. Suddenly, I am loving the place ;) In this packet, students learn all about what it's like to be a researcher living on this frozen continent! It includes a "Do you have what it takes?" checklist, a reading passage, comprehension questions, a writing prompt/printable, and even a pretend job application to be a junior researcher! I LOVE that. They never get to fill out "grown up" forms ;) I cannot wait to do this with my kids next week! Check it out here.

4. Yesterday we had our big Easter egg hunt with the kiddos! I was kind of dreading this day...crazy second graders, candy, egg hunts, meltdowns, bus rides...seems like a bad combo, right? It's so easy to get caught up in the stress of field trips like this that I miss out on the good stuff. Like my kids playing for an hour outside...completely free of technology/screens. They were climbing trees, swinging, running- I loved just watching them play with one another. And they were being so sweet! One of the students showed up late and missed the egg hunt. Five minutes later, his basket was completely full. The kids had shared their eggs with him- without being asked or prompted to at all! I love moments like that :)

 

5. And finally, Happy Easter! The hubs and I are in Texarkana for the weekend with my fam and I am loving it! But most of all, I am loving this time to remember the true importance of Easter- what my amazing Savior did for me and you. I am so overwhelmed by His sacrifice and His never-ending love. I am so undeserving. Take time to remember that during this special weekend :)

hannah

1 comment:

  1. Your "Job of a Lifetime" packet looks and sounds wonderful!

    That is so sweet about your kiddos and sharing the Easter eggs. I love it when the show and share their sweet, sweet hearts. =)

    You might want to think about add a follow button that is not the Google+ one. You can go to design at the top of your blog and then layout. Choose add a gadget and then more gadgets. The follow button is #25...the last one on the page. I would love to follow you. =)

    Hop over and visit me when you get the chance. I am going to share about our adjective pizza tomorrow. =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete